[IAEP] Fire in Cantagallo, the last node of Shipibo culture in Lima

Laura Vargas laura at somosazucar.org
Sun Nov 6 21:33:50 EST 2016

Back on 2010, during my first days at Escuelab-Lima as a Sugarlabs
volunteer, I had the opportunity to take pictures to the work of Tuukka
Hastrup, Kaisa Haverinen and Sebastian Silva, as they got about 30 XO to
the bilingual primary school of the CantaGallo Shipibo community.

Together, they got the local MinEdu office (Ugel) to provide the laptops
and the local school authorities to provide a room and time for the
training of the teachers.

This is the first time I am sharing the pictures:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/48401912@N08/sets/72157623606532086

Six years latter, and after all efforts made to translate Sugar to local
languages like Quechua, Aymara and AwajĂșn, we haven't even been able to
start with the Shipibo language yet. Why, is a good question.

As demand for oil, wood and gold increases in "developed" nations, pressure
for indigenous land rights has translated into violent attacks, fires and
even death of indigenous people. After two days of fire, the CantaGallo
Shipibo community is reduced to ashes. The school (which was the only
native language bilingual school in Lima) was burned and probably all the
machines are unusable.

Today I understand that the Shipibos families, as it happens with many
other Amazonic nations, are pretty busy surviving in the land where they
stand and may just not have time or energy to sit and translate Sugar
strings :(

Here's a video with an overflight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggvvJ8jcB0U

Regards,