[IAEP] "Windows Is Coming"

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun May 22 13:55:46 EDT 2016

Quoting Dave Crossland (2016-05-22 19:03:05)
> On 20 May 2016 at 09:50, Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org> wrote:
>
>> El 20/05/16 a las 07:56, Dave Crossland escribió:
>>
>>> I think Sugar would be installed as a dualboot on Chromebooks.
>> My main machine was a chromebok for a couple of years until a
>> thunderstorm took its life. It was wonderful hardware, almost fatally
>> crippled with DRM. I had to dissassemble it, remove a 'security
>> screw' (properly named) in order to flash the firmware to avoid
>> dangerous "press space to have google format your drive" first boot
>> warning. One time I accidentally pushed space and it wiped the hard
>> drive!
>>

> Wow! Its nice there is a screw instead of glue :)

It is a hardware design to scare off non-hackers while not violating the
tivoization clauses in GPL-3.

> I looked a bit further into ChromeOS options for Sugar, and it seems
> free desktops can run chroot'd within ChromeOS, per
> http://www.howtogeek.com/208368/how-to-run-a-full-linux-desktop-in-a-browser-tab-on-your-chromebook/

Notice the "full Crouton system" in that article? That implies you
either get scary warnings and loud beeps at boot with super easy
accidental wipe of your whole system, or need to tinker with the
infamous screw.

 - Jonas