[IAEP] Windows is Coming

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sat May 21 19:25:07 EDT 2016

Hi

On 21 May 2016 at 19:18, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:
> What libre hardware do Latin American educational systems have access to
now
> that the OLPC-XO product stream is drying up?

I'm curious why you think any XO was libre hardware?

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Open_Hardware says,

The development of the XO required many millions of dollars of engineering,
tooling, and test runs. The company building the XO, Quanta Computer, Inc.,
invested this, with the hopes of recouping it through their very small (and
limited) profit on the manufacture over many, many millions of units. In
order to ensure this, they are maintaining strict control over the actual
electrical design of the laptop.

I have't seen anything about XOs that would meet
http://www.oshwa.org/definition but I'll be very happy to see them :)

--
Cheers
Dave