[IAEP] Windows is Coming

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Sat May 21 02:18:08 EDT 2016

El 20/05/16 a las 09:43, Dave Crossland escribió:

> On 20 May 2016 at 09:56, Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org
> <mailto:sebastian at fuentelibre.org>> wrote:
>
>     While I have close-to-zero motivation to have activities run on
>     Windows
>

> Please explain why you feel this way. I am excited about the
> possibility of running Sugar activities on Windows and Mac OS X.

I have very seriously taken as part of my mission in life is to promote
libre technologies because I think they can empower people as they have
empowered me.

I have a saying "if it's not /Free,/ it doesn't exist" (in Spanish it
makes more sense: /libre/)/.

/While I have made compromises in the past (finally I have a rooted
android device, and have used skype to have the kids talk with grandma),
I actively avoid all of that like the plague.

The fact that Windows is considered a viable alternative for schools is,
in my mind, immoral and we do a lot of work (lobby) to discourage this
argument in public discourse on the basis of, for instance, native
language supportability, technologic sovereignity and long term
sustainability. There are huge interests invested in trying to sell
Windows (and Android) to our Latin American public education systems and
us supporting it would be counterproductive in my humble opinion. While
it is technically feasible, and in some instances, as you say, even
desirable (for newbies etc), I would rather not.

Finally I don't have (or want) access  to a Windows machine.