[IAEP] Trip Advisor Agreement?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri May 20 13:21:49 EDT 2016

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> In thread "Re: [IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] [SLOB] meeting reminder and
> some open issues to discuss" on 11 May 2016 at 14:05, Laura Vargas <
> laura at somosazucar.org> wrote:
>
>> there are ~US$65,000 available for planning/distributing among
>> activities/teams/projects etc.
>

> Hmm. I think the majority of this is only available within the boundaries
> set by the Trip Advisor grant; while "legally" the contractual agreement
> between Conservancy and Trip Advisor didn't set such boundaries, we are
> honour-bound to stay within them.
>
> Where is the Conservancy-TripAdvisor grant agreement?
> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/index.php?search=trip+advisor&title=Special%3ASearch&go=Go
> turns up nothing...

Here is the "Proposed use of Funds" section of the Trip Advisor Grant:

There are two specific goals for the Tripadvisor grant:

(1) Broaden the reach of our indigenous language support. Currently we have
language projects in ~150 languages (for example, we cover Aymara, Quechua,
Gurani and other languages of the Andes region). But the problem is
enormous: for example, in Nigeria, there are more than 300 languages
spoken. We only have partial coverage in four of these languages. We need
to push much harder on making Sugar be available in the local language of
the learner; this requires both outreach and coordination that is above and
beyond what we can support strictly through our volunteer efforts. So we
are hoping to establish a seed fund to help with translation efforts:
augmenting the efforts of our volunteers with some professional translation
services in Latin America, Africa, and South Asia.

(2) Support for a major new outreach initiative we are launching in October
2013. We are celebrating International Turtle Art Day (Turtle Art is a
programming environment for children that is one of the cornerstone apps
bundled with the Sugar platform.) We are trying to:
* Promote the use of Turtle Art (We have three million users, but would
like to double that number over the next three years);
* Share and promote best practices (We want to ensure that our users are
getting maximum value from their investment of time);
* Celebrate projects for children and teachers (We want to bring children
together to their local venues and connect them globally through a shared
project site to their peers as a way of encouraging them to push themselves
further -- creating a network effect around learning opportunities).

Internationalization and localization are on-going efforts for us and areas
we take quite seriously. As we expand to more regions, the need to develop
and sustain local localization teams is paramount to reaching more children
with our learning tools. We would use the Tripadvisor donation as the
initial basis of a fund to help
translation efforts both targeted opportunistically by Sugar Labs and on
demand by our user community, with an emphasis on expanding our reach in
Africa.

Turtle Art Day is scheduled for October 2013. (We already have venues lined
up in the United States, Peru, Colombia, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Uruguay,
Nigeria, India, and Australia). We hope that Turtle Art Day will be an
annual event, celebrated simultaneously in 100s of venues. We are asking
TAMG to be the inaugural event sponsor and to help us establish a framework
by which it can be readily replicated in the coming years.

The internationalization and localization work would be overseen by Chris
Leonard, the Sugar Labs Internationalization Team leader. The management of
the funds would be overseen by the executive director, Walter Bender, who
also happens to be the lead developer of the Turtle Art program. Sugar Labs
will provide Tripadvisor with detailed reports on all spending.

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs