[IAEP] Sugar network/ School Network (Laura Vargas)

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Fri May 20 03:27:02 EDT 2016

El 20/05/16 a las 01:40, Tony Anderson escribió:

> Hi, Laura
>
> I am sorry but that leaves me still unclear on the dependence on the
> internet. If each machine becomes a node, why is it necessary for it
> to be a server? Where is the main node? Where are the content resources?
>
> Tony

Hi Tony,

I can respond the more technical aspects. The node service provides the
same API when running locally as it does when acting as a server. This
is so that clients can interact with the Sugar Network even when
completely disconnected. When a node is acting as server, it will
synchronize content resources with nodes acting as clients. Each client
node has a resource cache of limited size. For example, clients may
choose to 'keep' a Sugar activity for using offline. Aleksey tweaked the
node for performance under low memory and disk space conditions (even on
XO1).

The full set of content resources resides in the node acting as server.
This is the only difference. Server nodes have been designed to sync
with each other. Currently there is a node server running on
node.sugarlabs.org, with a front-end running at
http://network.sugarlabs.org/ . This node is what Laura calls the `main
node`. It is running exactly the same software as we have on each XO,
and currently provides service for thousands of XOs. We haven't worked
directly in schools to deploy local server nodes, but conceivably, we could.

Regards,
Sebastian