[IAEP] "Windows Is Coming"

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu May 19 23:17:24 EDT 2016

Hi

If we want to grow Sugar's userbase 10x, I think Sugar must run not only on
GNU but also Windows and Mac OS X.

1. Rewriting everything in JavaScript for Sugarizer

2. Implementing "Sugar As A Service" with GTK3-Broadway,
https://SandStorm.io and https://os.js.org

3. Packaging Sugar to run on any desktop

I think this list is in descending order of effort.

Sebastian just has done more AWESOME work to make Sugar run on any GNU free
desktop...

https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit/pull/3

Once that effort wraps up, it will not be far for Sugar to run natively on
non-free desktops.

I kindly offer you the proposition that the majority of users of VLC and
Firefox and LibreOffice and Inkscape and GIMP and Blender and all the other
major free software projects are on Windows.

More philosophically, I think that the most powerful attribute of libre
software is that it can be ubiquitous. I think a ultra-cross-platform
strategy that pushes this attribute to its limit is advantageous for the
software freedom movement, because it - massively - widens the conversion
funnel (https://github.com/sugarlabs/www-sugarlabs/blob/master/STRUCTURE.md)
and gets people familiar with libre UIs and gets their data into libre
formats, so that making the transition to a GNU desktop is actually very
straightforward.

--
Cheers
Dave