[IAEP] Sugar network / School Network

Laura Vargas laura at somosazucar.org
Thu May 19 01:39:50 EDT 2016

> Hi!
>
> On 17 May 2016 at 17:54, Laura Vargas <laura at somosazucar.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi!

>>> WOW!!! That stats page is AMAZING!! :D
>>>

>> :D Thx! Those are node statistics.
>>
>> "The node statistics are about the entire server and *depersonalized*.
>> Statistics are being collected by analyzing regular requests to an API
>> server and stored for each Sugar Network node."[1]
>>
>> Currently we have only one node; the one that refers to users that have
>> installed Hexoquinasa (Sugar 0.96+Quechua+Aymara+SN).
>>

> Cool!! :D
>

>> Deployment of Hexoquinasa started by MinEdu on Peruvian *Public Schools*
>> on the beginnig of School year in 2014. You can tell how the instalation
>> process has evolved from the statistics of total.users graph.
>>
>> You can also find stats from the node usage at:
>> http://jita.sugarlabs.org/node.sugarlabs.org/
>>

> WOW!!!!!
>

>> But having looked at the SN wiki pages in more detail, I am still
>>> confused about Sugar Network....
>>>

>> Sugar Network-Sugar Labs wiki pages were originally created by SN backend
>> main developer Aleksey Lim. His efforts to document the SN solution were
>> extensive, yet I do agree this documentation requires some cleaning and
>> updating.
>>

>> Any specific question, please ask.
>>

> Am I correct in understanding that an effort to set up School Network as a
> separate organisation is abandoned?

I am not aware there was ever and effort in this direction.

> it seems to have no activity in the last 8 months;
>>>

>> That is not that much for a wiki page :D
>>

> ;)
>

>> I don't understand why it isn't a part of Sugar itself;
>>>

>> Not yet but I hope the day will come. We certainly could use new/good
>> energies and funding to continue this endevour. I would like to quote James
>> Cameron from OLPC about SN:
>>
>> "I'd like to see Sugar Labs focus on making Sugar Network more
>> available.  It has clearly, by the numbers, outdone the original OLPC
>> school server concept."
>>
>> We should open debate for SL-SN future and define strategy and concrete
>> actions.
>>

> I agree - and James sage advice is classic :)
>

>> I don't understand how it raised a small fund for development labour -
>>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Crowd_funding/Sugar_Network#Overall_progress
>>> -
>>>

>> After Sugar Camp Lima 2011, Bernie Innocenti, Juan Camilo Lema, Aleksey
>> Lim, Sebastian Silva and I, understood the need for SN and with time
>> generosity and very limited funds we made it happen; In order to be able to
>> actually deploy the solution on the field, we had to get to the MinEdu
>> offices with the solution tested and ready to go, and that's what we did.
>>

> AMAZING!!!! :D
>

>> and then seems to have stopped without posting why.
>>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sugar-network seems dormant
>>> since 2014.
>>>

>> We haven't stoped.  Aleksey did work on a new frontend prototype called
>> School Network, while Sebastian and I continue to monitor and admin the
>> contents provided by the children in the original node.
>>

> Great :D
>

>> But since it 2 of the 3 key people I could find listed are you and
>>> Sebastian, I hope you can refresh the wiki page section to explain these
>>> things :)
>>>
>> We haven't heared back from Aleksey in a while,
>>

> He's totally gone, I think: He told me privately that Sugar Labs was his
> first experience as a FOSS contributor, and he worked full time on Sugar,
> but stepped aside partly because he wanted a higher income, and partly
> because he wanted to work in edutech in his own country, which was not
> adopting Sugar.

I hope in the near future SL develops the capacity to retain talented
developers.

https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Network/1.0/Roadmap

>> Hopefully -somehow- we will be able to upstream the solution for Sugar.
>> But this will require going thru the components and features, in order to
>> integrate them in a way that is logical and has consensus
>>

> Hmm. I don't really understand this... If 'School Network' as a separate
> effort is abandoned, then _de facto_ Sugar Network is by name part of Sugar
> Labs, since its using the trademark ...right?

Not sure I understand your question.

Sugar Network was conceived to serve Sugar and Sugar-Activities users.

As a project, It has been under the umbrella of Sugar Labs since its
conception. Please note it is part of the larger project "Harmonic
Distribution".

As a product, "Hexoquinasa" is a downstream distribution of "Harmonic
Distribution" made by the Research and Development team SomosAzucar.org.

As a service and database it serves a percentage of Sugar users and it is
hosted at Sugar Labs infrastructure.

I guess to make it part of Sugar Labs, a first thing will be to migrate its
> codebase from NotABug to Github.com/sugarlabs
>
> Perhaps then, integrate it into consolidated packaging information (since
> there seems to be an official release process, and then optional release
> processes for 3rd party distributions of Sugar, such as the "Sugar
> Construction Kit" wiki page, and probably other docs for abandoned sugar
> distros like Dextrose and perhaps others...)
>
> And then, include it in the 0.110 release.

What else? :D

The node service runs locally on each machine. Thus, the node would have to
be included in the Sugar distribution. The node offers an API for
accessing/interaction with Sugar Network resources.

So step 0 would be to determine which functions/interactions (out of all
the possible interactions) to integrate with the proposed Sugar release.

Possible interactions include, but are not limited to:

1. Search, run, install and uninstall Sugar Activities.
2. Share feedback on the experience with Sugar, SN and Sugar Activities
(comments, questions, ideas and problems).
3. Share solutions for questions, ideas and problems.
4. Share free digital educational resources (Project's descriptions and
Journal Objects).
5. Perform automatic bug reporting of Sugar Activities.
6. Updating the Operating System.*
7. Share usage statistics.
8. Get notifications from other users interactions.*
9. Sneakernet functionallity.*
10. Group editing for projects.*
11. Allow access in DEMO mode (with limited functionality) visitors from a
Web browser.

* These functionalities where part of the original design but were not
fully implemented.

and then make it happen :D

--
Laura V.