[IAEP] [SLOBS] [SLOB] another motion (Quispe trip to Translation Summit)

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Wed May 18 10:28:02 EDT 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
wrote:

> FWIW, while I agree that retroactively approving of funds is not ideal,
> this particular case is a matter of formal approval of what was already
> approved. SLOB gave me authority to make these sorts of decisions for the
> Trip Advisor grant several times now and I believe it is within Chris's
> discretion as well. Nonetheless, for some reason or other, the SFC seems to
> think that every outlay requires explicit approval from the entire board.
> Further, it is not like this was an attempt to blind-side or circumvent the
> board. I brought this up several months ago, but we have not managed to
> vote on it.
>
> Finally, I find the "wait-until-the-last-moment-to-object" style of
> discourse to be highly unprofessional. I reiterate, this has been on the
> table for months as has been the opportunity for feedback and discussion.

My own hope is that Sugar Labs seek a new tone of governance, putting aside
baseless ad hominem attacks against on its own board members and
hard-working sponsoring organization (SFConservancy.org), who happen to
prefer more transparent and understandable financials.

My hope is that Translation Community Manager Chris Leonard's monthly blog
(and similar) will be just the beginning to show us all this upfront,
honorable, inclusive-of-all-kinds-of-people (even accountants, if we are to
grow this movement) approach is in fact possible beginning in 2016.

-walter