[IAEP] Sugar network / School Network

Laura Vargas laura at somosazucar.org
Tue May 17 17:54:02 EDT 2016

Hi!

> On 15 May 2016 at 13:29, Laura Vargas <laura at somosazucar.org> wrote:
>
>> Sugar Network is up the air, and it has more than 35.000 users. You can
>> find the stats here> http://network.sugarlabs.org/stats-viewer/
>>

> WOW!!! That stats page is AMAZING!! :D

:D Thx! Those are node statistics.

"The node statistics are about the entire server and *depersonalized*.
Statistics are being collected by analyzing regular requests to an API
server and stored for each Sugar Network node."[1]

Currently we have only one node; the one that refers to users that have
installed Hexoquinasa (Sugar 0.96+Quechua+Aymara+SN).

Deployment of Hexoquinasa started by MinEdu on Peruvian *Public Schools* on
the beginnig of School year in 2014. You can tell how the instalation
process has evolved from the statistics of total.users graph.

You can also find stats from the node usage at:
http://jita.sugarlabs.org/node.sugarlabs.org/

But having looked at the SN wiki pages in more detail, I am still confused
> about Sugar Network....

Sugar Network-Sugar Labs wiki pages were originally created by SN backend
main developer Aleksey Lim. His efforts to document the SN solution were
extensive, yet I do agree this documentation requires some cleaning and
updating.

Any specific question, please ask.

it seems to have no activity in the last 8 months;

That is not that much for a wiki page :D

> I don't understand why it isn't a part of Sugar itself;

Not yet but I hope the day will come. We certainly could use new/good
energies and funding to continue this endevour. I would like to quote James
Cameron from OLPC about SN:

"I'd like to see Sugar Labs focus on making Sugar Network more
available.  It has clearly, by the numbers, outdone the original OLPC
school server concept."

We should open debate for SL-SN future and define strategy and concrete
actions.

I don't understand how it raised a small fund for development labour -
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Crowd_funding/Sugar_Network#Overall_progress
> -

After Sugar Camp Lima 2011, Bernie Innocenti, Juan Camilo Lema, Aleksey
Lim, Sebastian Silva and I, understood the need for SN and with time
generosity and very limited funds we made it happen; In order to be able to
actually deploy the solution on the field, we had to get to the MinEdu
offices with the solution tested and ready to go, and that's what we did.

> and then seems to have stopped without posting why.
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sugar-network seems dormant since
> 2014.

We haven't stoped.  Aleksey did work on a new frontend prototype called
School Network, while Sebastian and I continue to monitor and admin the
contents provided by the children in the original node.

But since it 2 of the 3 key people I could find listed are you and
> Sebastian, I hope you can refresh the wiki page section to explain these
> things :)
>
> We haven't heared back from Aleksey in a while, and this is a shame as his
contributions for learners to have acess to a friendly - libre - open -
digital communication exchange platform were major and have been recognized
[2].

There are many functionalities that SN provides; content creation, content
exchange, activities distribution, feedback from field (questions, ideas,
problems), etc, still many more can be done, for example as Tony Anderson
once noted, SN is still bound to internet access as the sneakernet
functionality was not fully implemented.

Hopefully -somehow- we will be able to upstream the solution for Sugar. But
this will require going thru the components and features, in order to
integrate them in a way that is logical and has consensus.

[1]
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/index.php?title=Sugar_Network/API&redirect=no#Node_statistics
[2] Hexoquinasa received an honourable mention for its contribution to the
development and popularisation of free and open source software and the
empowerment of communities more at https://www.apc.org/es/node/19368

Cheers
> Dave

All the best,