[IAEP] [SLOBS] SL member list/joining criterion

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sat May 14 23:47:45 EDT 2016

Hi

On 14 May 2016 at 23:13, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 10:51 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>

>> On May 14, 2016 10:26 PM, "Walter Bender" <walter.bender at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > what is the harm in keeping them on the list? (Our membership list has
>> never been well-correlated with the active contributors in any case.)
>>
>> The harm is two fold. Initially that the list says it is a list of active
>> contributors, so having it not be that is problematic because it is
>> confusing: we either ought to redefine it accurately, or prune it. On a
>> deeper level it means referenda are a mirage, since it is impossible to get
>> replies from people completely disengaged, and it means that SL appears to
>> be a large and complex entity when it is not.
>>
> Valid points. But I guess I am not sure how we manage the pruning process.
> Some people come and go based on their availability. I can think of several
> people -- cjl and sean for example -- who have been quite active of late
> after a hiatus of 12+ months. I want to make sure we don't cut off our nose
> to spite our face.

Would you be happy for the members table to have a col for "last year of
active membership" which can be self-adjusted but it set based on when they
last got in contact to affirm membership?

Then we wouldn't drop anyone from the table, but we could sort dormant
members to the bottom, or color their row in the table differently, etc;
and we could adjust the bylaws to say that only members active in the
current year are needed for referenda.

--
Cheers
Dave