[IAEP] Sugar for Tablets

Cunningham, Ryan (CUNNIRYA001) CUNNIRYA001 at bellinghamschools.org
Tue Mar 29 23:53:28 EDT 2016

Dear Sugar Labs developers,

I am Ryan Cunningham, a person with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). I am a member of Special Olympics, which believes that autism does not define me (or anybody with autism), and I participate in practices with my school’s Special Olympics Unified Soccer team (Unified Soccer is part of Project UNIFY). I know that Sugar was designed especially for people in less-developed countries, and I know that One Laptop per Child, one of Sugar Labs’ clients, thinks the same of living in a less-developed country that I think of having autism.

But people in more-developed countries can also benefit from having access to Sugar, being the kind of free-and-open-source software that it is. Sugar, specifically, allows a user to experiment with the source code of its activities—even while the activities are running! This represents what the future of free-and-open-source software should be.

To help spread that ideology even further, I would like to provide a set of Fedora Kickstart files and installation scripts that a manufacturer of tablet computers may use to install this derived version of Sugar on a Stick onto its tablets. This gzip-compressed tape archive includes certain versions of the Python Powered and Fedora Remix logos, which shall be used to denote that Sugar is written in Python 2 and that this operating system is based on Fedora.

These scripts require at least Fedora 22. Logs from my final testing are included. This compilation is governed by the X11 License, the same license used for Fedora in general; the X11 License is also included. The distribution of these scripts and of their output on your Web site is encouraged. Please ask for permission from the Fedora Project regarding use of the Fedora Remix logos.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Ryan Cunningham