[IAEP] Which cheap 2016 Laptop should be our reference?

Sam Parkinson sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 18:12:07 EDT 2016

If we want a reference device, it needs to be as boring as possible.
Let's not repeat the XO situation.

The issue with XOs now seems to be that they are all special snowflakes
with their special kernel versions.  This is my understanding of why we
can't update them to the new versions of upstream software.

Devices with mainline kernel are very good.  I'm sure everybody is
familiar with this experience; having a random old laptop (XP era,
older maybe) that can run all the latest distributions,  Supporting my
software on that laptop is not hard - it is the same as the Fedora on
every other laptop.

If we choose something with a special snowflake kernel, the support
burden falls on us to keep the kernel up to date so that we can run new
Systemd versions for the new Fedora versions.

Thanks,
Sam