[IAEP] Which cheap 2016 Laptop should be our reference?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Jun 22 12:18:44 EDT 2016

Quoting Walter Bender (2016-06-22 16:33:15)
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 4:25 PM, Sebastian Silva
>> <sebastian at fuentelibre.org> wrote:
>>> I wouldn't dismiss the Raspberry Pi 3 or similar single board
>>> computer
>>
>> Around the time RPi hit the million unit mark I floated the idea of a
>> Sugar-branded enclosure for it, distributed through the RPi partner
>> network.
>
> The problem at the time was that the Sugar experience on RPi was
> pretty terrible. I suspect it is pretty decent on the newer models. Do
> we know?

Performance of RPi3 is decent.

It comes as a board, so addition of screen and keyboard, with the
distribution and support burden that inolves, should be accounted for.

The price of RPi is comparable to boards based on Allwinner A20 SoC,
where a notable difference is that A20 boards can run Debian, whereas
RPi requires a non-free blob to even boot¹.

You may not consider Debian and the definition of Software freedoms that
it represents crucial for your promotion of Sugar - I just mention as a
data point.

 - Jonas

¹ Yes, Debian + some non-free parts work, but that is not Debian.