[IAEP] [SLOBS] Motion: New monthly SLOB meeting procedure

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Tue Jun 21 19:15:23 EDT 2016

On 21 June 2016 at 10:47, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>> On 4 June 2016 at 11:38, Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org>
>> wrote:
>>> El 03/06/16 a las 16:10, Dave Crossland escribió:
>>>
>>> Motion: to agree the following procedure for all future monthly SLOB
>>> meetings: the chair will confirm the meeting meets quorum; the chair will
>>> make any announcements submitted to them before the meeting; the chair will
>>> announce the first motion pending a vote on that day; each present SLOB
>>> member will announce their vote; the chair will announce the outcome of the
>>> motion; the chair will announce the next motion, until all motions are voted
>>> on; the chair will invite everyone attending to an open discussion of any
>>> topic until the meeting ends at the time scheduled.
>
> If I was a SLOB I would support this motion. The passivity of the SLOBs
> is disappointing. It is better to vote and fail, than to linger.
>
> While I appreciate that such a mechanism might be useful in cleaning the
> pipes,

Every meeting that I have attended has had a 'blocked pipe' vibe.

> I think that we really want to take advantage of the meetings for
> discussions. It was my hope that discussion about motions could be largely
> held before hand and discussion of ideas held at the meeting.

Then why would you not second this motion?

The final part of the motion is,

"the chair will invite everyone attending to an open discussion of any
topic until the meeting ends at the time scheduled."

The element of discussions at the meetings is crucial, and I
considered this when I drafted it. The motion ensures that discussions
about motions must have been entirely held before hand, that motions
are voted on, and allows for discussion of ideas at the meeting
following the resolution of all pending motions.

I don't understand your objection, at all :)