[IAEP] [SLOBS] Motion: to consider email votes on motions only valid if they are sent to both the SLOBs and IAEP mailing lists.

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Tue Jun 21 11:41:47 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I would appreciate public consideration of this motion by each member of
>> SLOB.
>>
>> On 7 June 2016 at 10:00, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Motion: to consider email votes on motions only valid if they are sent
>>> to both the SLOBs and IAEP mailing lists.
>>>

>> --
>> Cheers
>> Dave

> It is my belief (hope) that the only time a vote is only sent to one list
> rather than both is when there is an oversight by the sender. Vote should
> be public,

Should but not must.

There can be (have been, and might be in future be) times when Sugar Labs
needs in-the-interim-confidential negotiations with billion-dollar
sponsor/ally governments and orgs or all kinds.

Naturally merger/acquisition or multimillion-dollar sponsorship situations
affect almost everyone, who cannot all be at the negotiating table, nor can
all Board members cannot possibly always agree.

Hence it's generally a legal/fiduciary responsibility of the Executive
Director (or similar) to consult privately with the Board in these kinds of
high-stakes situations -- keeping as many as possible apprised of
deliberations -- while preserving interim confidentiality wherever and
whenever necessary to protect the full/strategic interests of 501(c)3 Sugar
Labs.

but if the vote is forwarded to both lists after the fact, it should still