[IAEP] 172 XO-1s for $24 each (+ freight) $4,000 total

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 10:40:58 EDT 2016

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 11:54 PM, Laura Vargas <laura at somosazucar.org>
wrote:

>> I have to say I with Samuel Greenfeld on this one. There are lots of
>> potential issues with these machines (depending upon how they have been
>> stored and maintained.) They could well have dead batteries (both the main
>> battery and the battery for the RTC). They most certainly will need an
>> investment in time by someone getting them unlocked and reflashed as well.
>> That said, if we go that route, I have two bulk battery charging racks we
>> could add to the mix.
>>
>> Google just donated 8000 chromebooks to the X-Prize. Maybe we could try
>> to go that route?
>>

> Reading at http://learning.xprize.org/about/guidelines I found that
> registration to participate in the competition is now closed. Is this the
> same you are suggesting?

I was not suggesting we apply for the X-Prize. (As I said in an earlier
thread, I didn't think it was a good match for Sugar Labs either as an
organization or in terms of pedagogy.) I referred to the X-Prize donation
only in order to substantiate the idea of soliciting a small donation of
hardware from Google as a reference platform.

regards.

-walter

> -walter
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 6:20 AM, Samuel Greenfeld <samuel at greenfeld.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> FOB (Freight on Board) means that the responsibility for customs fees,
>>> shipping charges, etc. belongs to the buyer.  XOs directly purchased from
>>> OLPC historically had similar terms.
>>>
>>> The shipping calculator on that listing can give you a rough idea of
>>> what it would cost to get to you in the US (around $500-$1000 uninsured).
>>>
>>> Personally I think it is a waste of funds and time given that someone
>>> will have to go through all 172 XOs to verify their functionality,
>>> determine which 10-year-old batteries still can hold a charge, make
>>> repairs, etc.  It would primarily be of interest to projects which already
>>> get donated XO-1s and could salvage parts of necessary, but not necessarily
>>> at the $4k price point.
>>>
>>> Reselling the laptops as usable also would incur a bit of liability that
>>> the recycler (selling as-is) is not willing to take.  About the only good
>>> thing is that this recycler does not appear to be shipping from
>>> Massachusetts, where one recycler was selling pre-release parts even after
>>> being told they were not usable by anyone else.
>>>

>>> While we seem to have discovered Sugar Labs has money this year, Sugar
>>> Labs is not a bank for everyone's little pet project.  *Before* we spend
>>> any significant portion of funds beyond the significant amount already
>>> allocated for stipends & translation, I would like to see proof that Sugar
>>> Labs can fund raise most of the money already spent back.
>>>
>>> The only valid way I could see doing this would be to ask the recycler
>>> if they would be willing to just donate the laptops to the SFC (or another
>>> 501(c)3 registered XO-using nonprofit) and take the profit as a tax

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs