[IAEP] [SLOBS] Motion to update current SL vision statement

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Mon Jun 20 03:23:50 EDT 2016

Hi, Dave

This email is a clear example of the confusion we are having. You
describe it as a mission statement (not a vision statement).
However, your title describes an 'update' to the current Sugar Labs
vision statement. Could you provide the text of what you believe is the
current Sugar Labs vision statement that is to be updated?

This is the version I was responding to, which seems to be a re-write by
you of Laura's statement:

"Sugar Labs is a global community where you can learn how to design,
develop and deploy high-quality Free/LibreSoftware that facilitates
self-discovery learning experiences and collaboration among young
children of all continents."

I disagree completely with this statement as a vision for Sugar Labs.
This makes us sound like a community for training adult software
developers. Our vision needs to be of the educational advantages which
we want our product,Sugar to provide. This product is designed to
facilitate learning by young (grade school) learners based on ideas from
Seymour Papert and Alan Kay.

I agree strongly that work with and on Sugar can lead to learning
technical computer skills. I try to emphasize that in presentations and
workshops that in the XO, the user has free access to all of the latest
software: using the command line, building scripts, programming in
Python, developing web sites with HTML, CSS, and Javascript, developing
administrative skills in networking and system maintenance.
However, this is not the /ra//ison d'etre/ for Sugar.

Tony