[IAEP] [UKids] Re: news article: Why schools should provide one laptop per child

Ian Thomson ithomson.nz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 18:59:08 EDT 2016

Have to admit to being a bit surprised that for a list serve that is called
"Its an education project", all the comments are about the device.

IMHO, the biggest challenge (in the developing world) is how to make the
giant step change from moving from a  resource poor teaching and learning
environment to a resource abundant environment (enabled by ICTs). This is
very different from what happens in developed countries.

I see huge potential in this, but nobody seems to be commenting on it. They
still seem to focus on the device (even if the debate is about one-to-one
or not, it is still device centric)

Ian

On 18 June 2016 at 03:14, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> On 17 June 2016 at 11:11, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>
>> I thought this was the best line:
>>
>> "These [failures] tended to be in school districts that treated computers
>> like magical devices that would solve educational problems merely through
>> their distribution, without sufficient planning on how they could best be
>> deployed to improve learning."
>>

> I added this to the vision of what SL should be
>

> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/index.php?title=Vision_proposal_2016&type=revision&diff=99052&oldid=99047
>
> --
> Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !
> ---