[IAEP] Sugar Labs Vision Discussion in 6 hours

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri Jun 17 00:32:14 EDT 2016

Hi

On 16 June 2016 at 13:45, Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org> wrote:

> El 15/06/16 a las 22:02, Dave Crossland escribió:
>

> Hi
>
> On 15 June 2016 at 12:51, Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org>
> wrote:
>

>> On 15/06/16 08:40, Dave Crossland wrote:
>> > However, http://www.one-education.org has just announced their new
>> > unit, which is US$260 including tax (but plus shipping from Australia)
>> >
>> > Perhaps that should be the reference unit?
>>

> Just saw this closer and it looks like a really nice laptop. It's a
>> shame that there is no Sugar image tailored for it.
>

> When I spoke to Rangan a couple months ago, he said that there is no
> demand from the schools that One Education serves for such an image.
>

> It all depends on your intervention principles. In education, *we see
> Free Software as the only ethical and coherent option because it enables
> learners to examine and improve the tools we use to learn*, or do our
> jobs.

As a percentage, how many school IT decision makers agree with you?

What is your strategy for engaging the ones who do not agree with you?

> Perhaps Sugar Labs should try to get a donation for distributing to
>> developers.
>

> Sadly https://github.com/oneeducation is not updated much, as they are
> working in private repos; he wasn't sure if they will become public repos
> after their launch ramps up.
>

>> It looks like a classmate-class laptop
>>

> What do you see the differences as between a classmate and a chromebook?
>
> I expect to be able to install a standard or customized GNU/linux
> operating system on classmate-class laptops. At a certain scale I expect I
> can have it pre-installed by the supplier and produced with only
> free-software supported parts. I don't expect Chromebooks will offer these
> possibilities.

"Basically, all Intel hardware from year 2010 and beyond will never be
supported by libreboot. The libreboot project is actively ignoring all
modern Intel hardware at this point, and focusing on alternative platforms."
- https://libreboot.org/faq/#librem

Do Classmates inherently require the Intel Management Engine?

Do non-Intel Chromebooks?

we really need a good OS proposal for those.

> Can you point to any proposals that are similar to what you have in mind
> (but perhaps not 'good,' as you define it...)?
>
> There are many. I can point to:
>
>    - DouDouLinux http://www.doudoulinux.org/web/english/index.html
>    - Qimu http://www.qimo4kids.com/what-is-qimo/
>    - Trisquel TOAST http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast
>    - DebianEdu https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/
>    - Minino http://minino.galpon.org/
>    - Huayra GNU Linux http://huayra.conectarigualdad.gob.ar/
>    - Canaima GNU Linux http://www.canaima.softwarelibre.gob.ve/
>
> They either:
>
>    - Don't include / consider Sugar
>    - Are 'all or nothing'
>    - Are hard to base from
>    - Don't run well on classmates [because of drivers]
>    - Are dead projects or dormant
>
> We propose development of a common * Sugar Blend *as a base for a
> classmate-class laptop operating system:
> https://wiki.debian.org/SugarBlend/Huayruro
>
> Such a project would overcome the previous limitations by building on a
> common base.

I am reminded a bit of https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8DCMDoCYAEVHOZ.jpg -
especially because of DebianEdu.

Why did you not join one of these projects and reinvigorate it to address
the issues you listed?

(Operating System or Open Source? :)

> I never say Open Source. :-)

Me too; I prefer to say 'libre' :)

> I'd be happy deploying 10 of them in a community center near
>> Puerto Maldonado and sharing results.
>>

> I guess you are touch with Rangan already, but perhaps we could schedule a
> call with the 3 of us if you are not :)
>
> I'm not in contact with him but I'd love to work together towards the goal
> of producing a credible and fully supported operating system for laptops
> such as these (there are many brands). It would be great if we could gather
> support from manufacturers and integrators for producing and releasing a
> supported distribution/platform tested on specific models of laptops.

In concrete terms, what can be done to work together with him on this?

Would you want him to send you a laptop? What else could he do for you?

--
Cheers
Dave