[IAEP] 172 XO-1s for $24 each (+ freight) $4,000 total

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Mon Jun 13 14:16:16 EDT 2016

On 13 June 2016 at 13:52, Samuel Greenfeld <samuel at greenfeld.org> wrote:
> I think if you tell the sponsor you want a stash to sell them, they'll be
> more than happy to keep them to sell for themselves.

I doubt it - due to the labour costs you describe below :)

> What Walter and I are getting at is that is servicing & reshipping 172 XOs
> (even if they come with 254 chargers + extra batteries) takes a lot more
> work than you may realize.

Are we supporting the XO-1 or not? :)

> While $4k might be trivial for a developer in the US to pay,

I'm sorry if I was unclear; I meant that $200 (or even $500) is pocket
money for most developers, easily fitting into their discretionary
budget for a single month.

> moving ~550 pounds/~250 kg dropped outside on a pallet into your
> apartment is not.  You will need room to store/charge/diagnose/etc.
> them - and not stacked while closed (they may overheat and melt).

Aren't they ruggedised?

> Reconditioning them could take another $4k man-hours worth of work.

The sales volume will be small so the labour time will be massively
spread out; and Sugar Labs won't pay that labour cost in USD.

> If you ship more than one or a few at a time (depending on
> origin/destination), the Lithium batteries in the laptops make them a
> hazardous shipment.  Having that many lithium batteries in one location
> might violate fire code on its own.

Its a tiny palette; storage in a shed or rented storage unit won't be
expensive for that storage volume even here in Manhattan.

> The sheer number of XO-1s put on sale at once could lower the viable sales
> price.

We could be so lucky! :)

> And in the event that some have torn keyboards/bad batteries/etc., you're
> just going to end up recycling those parts again.  It will be clear from the
> quantity that this isn't personal use, so you may have to pay for that.

I don't understand what you mean, here.

> Anyways, if done, doing this would be best handled by one of the local
> groups (OLPC-SF, etc.) where they get the room to store the laptops across
> several locations as well as several hands involved with them.

AFAICT only OLPC SF, OLPC France, and OLPC Canada are active in 2016.
Only SF is in the US.

Aaron, what do you think the OLPC SF appetite for this project is?
Would anyone in OLPC SF have access to storage and hands to process or
distribute them?

> I anticipate it would require a lot of labor & time to do this properly, and anyone who
> remembers the first Give-One Get-One event would know how OLPC completely
> screwed up in this area.

That was 100,00s of laptops! This is barely 150.