[IAEP] 172 XO-1s for $24 each (+ freight) $4,000 total

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Mon Jun 13 13:52:15 EDT 2016

I think if you tell the sponsor you want a stash to sell them, they'll be
more than happy to keep them to sell for themselves.

What Walter and I are getting at is that is servicing & reshipping 172 XOs
(even if they come with 254 chargers + extra batteries) takes a lot more
work than you may realize.

While $4k might be trivial for a developer in the US to pay, moving ~550
pounds/~250 kg dropped outside on a pallet into your apartment is not.  You
will need room to store/charge/diagnose/etc. them - and not stacked while
closed (they may overheat and melt).

Reconditioning them could take another $4k man-hours worth of work.

If you ship more than one or a few at a time (depending on
origin/destination), the Lithium batteries in the laptops make them a
hazardous shipment.  Having that many lithium batteries in one location
might violate fire code on its own.

The sheer number of XO-1s put on sale at once could lower the viable sales
price.

And in the event that some have torn keyboards/bad batteries/etc., you're
just going to end up recycling those parts again.  It will be clear from
the quantity that this isn't personal use, so you may have to pay for that.

Anyways, if done, doing this would be best handled by one of the local
groups (OLPC-SF, etc.) where they get the room to store the laptops across
several locations as well as several hands involved with them.  I
anticipate it would require a lot of labor & time to do this properly, and
anyone who remembers the first Give-One Get-One event would know how OLPC
completely screwed up in this area.