[IAEP] 172 XO-1s for $24 each (+ freight) $4,000 total

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Mon Jun 13 06:20:43 EDT 2016

FOB (Freight on Board) means that the responsibility for customs fees,
shipping charges, etc. belongs to the buyer.  XOs directly purchased from
OLPC historically had similar terms.

The shipping calculator on that listing can give you a rough idea of what
it would cost to get to you in the US (around $500-$1000 uninsured).

Personally I think it is a waste of funds and time given that someone will
have to go through all 172 XOs to verify their functionality, determine
which 10-year-old batteries still can hold a charge, make repairs, etc.  It
would primarily be of interest to projects which already get donated XO-1s
and could salvage parts of necessary, but not necessarily at the $4k price
point.

Reselling the laptops as usable also would incur a bit of liability that
the recycler (selling as-is) is not willing to take.  About the only good
thing is that this recycler does not appear to be shipping from
Massachusetts, where one recycler was selling pre-release parts even after
being told they were not usable by anyone else.

While we seem to have discovered Sugar Labs has money this year, Sugar Labs
is not a bank for everyone's little pet project.  *Before* we spend any
significant portion of funds beyond the significant amount already
allocated for stipends & translation, I would like to see proof that Sugar
Labs can fund raise most of the money already spent back.

The only valid way I could see doing this would be to ask the recycler if
they would be willing to just donate the laptops to the SFC (or another
501(c)3 registered XO-using nonprofit) and take the profit as a tax
writeoff.  But *before* this gets done, it really needs to be discussed by
Sugar Labs' board {NOT people begging the recycler to do so via individual
actions - if anything that would encourage them to raise their expected
price}.