[IAEP] 172 XO-1s for $24 each (+ freight) $4,000 total

Sam Parkinson sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 04:19:16 EDT 2016

Hi Dave,

They are XO1s... does Sugar run OK on the XO1?

$100 seems steep for an XO1.  In the USA, apparently less than $100
yeilds you a "tablet" from "Walmart" (can't vouch for anything... just
searched it on the net) [1].  Maybe sell it for less?  Or try $100 and
see if we need to go lower?

But at $75 or $50, that's a nice thing to put on the frontpage of the
site.  This will be amazing.  We can setup the infrastructure for
selling devices, sending updates to people, etc.  We can empower
deployment who need the hardware.

The "profit" can probably be invested in things we need.  Devel work?
More capital for selling more devices (aka. things other than XO1)?
Anyway, that is off topic... we can deal with that if the money
actually eventuates.

But it is also great for our growth.  Not everybody installs OSes, but
most people are familiar with the idea of buying a box of hardware.  Is
$75 expensive?  In a school budget yes probably.  But there are
defiantly some people who would be willing to spend it.

This is a very good use of the SL capital.

We obviously need to think about the risk.  If we spend $4000 on XOs,
at the price of $75, we need to sell 50 (+more to cover postage costs)
to make the money back.  Is that likely?  I would say yes... that is
about 2 classes of students.

Of course, people will argue that it is not SL's job to get involved in
selling hardware.  On the same token, nobody would say that is NOT SL's
job to promote Sugar.  Selling a small batch of hardware is just a way
of promoting our software.  This isn't OLPC scale, SL is not becoming
an OEM... it is "Uncle Dave's Phone Repair Shop" scale.

Thanks,
Sam

[1]
http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Viking-Pro-10.1-2-in-1-Tablet-32GB-Quad-Core/45804384