[IAEP] [SLOBS] Motion: to undertake a fund raising drive.

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 11:48:45 EDT 2016

On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 6:26 AM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4 June 2016 at 15:25, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I  am all for raising funds but we need to articulate the reason why we
>>> need them.
>>>
>> To pay for labour to achieve goals, such as the existing translations and
>> finance manager roles and perhaps others in the future; to find out which
>> members are active in 2016; to pay for all travel expenses for all active
>> members to attend a sugar summit... there are countless things you can do
>> with general funds.
>

> Dave - Walter means how we articulate to potential donors, i.e. the
> compelling story I have mentioned. It's a marketing problem and rushing
> through a motion is not the solution - we need to be clear what our vision
> and major goals are, and relate them convincingly to donors.
>
> Sean

+1. I am in favor of a fund raising effort it is has a clear goal and
message as to what the funds are for. A fund-raiser to hold a Sugar Summit
would be a really nice thing, for example. Can we rough out a budget so we
can set a target for the fund raiser? (An open-ended, non-specific campaign
smells like Tyranny :P in the spirit of the article you shared with me the
other day [1]).

I don't know if it is realistic in terms of timing, but doing a Global
Sugar Summit in conjunction with the Libre Learning Summit [2] being
organized by Mariah in October at MIT (we already have a venue) would be
ideal.

regards.

-walter

[1] http://www.jofreeman.com/joreen/tyranny.htm