[IAEP] IAEP Digest, Vol 99, Issue 16

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Jun 5 01:02:49 EDT 2016

Hi

On 4 June 2016 at 03:35, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:

> This discussion of procedures misses the point. Board meetings are not for
> the purpose of voting yea/nea on motions.

What do you think the purposes of the board meetings are, then?

> A majority of the Board members commented on these motions before the
> meeting. These comments were consistent with the comments made at the
> meeting with a couple of exceptions. We need to come to a consensus on the
> motions before they are presented to the Board.

I disagree completely :) This is not a Quaker Meeting House! :) Consensus
is explicitly not required: Motions can pass if 1 board member is willing
to second the motion and 4 affirmative votes (majority of 7 seats) are
made.

> With the exception of motions to authorize payments, I don't see that any
> of these motions have an urgency that justifies their being passed
> immediately nor any harm to Sugar Labs resulting from their not being
> passed on June 3.

I suggest you refer to Walter's email to understand the harm that has been
done.

> I appreciate the work and enthusiasm that you have brought to the Vision
> motion. However, I don't understand your apparent insensitivity to the
> obvious fact that these issues are very important to the community and
> deserve the time needed to obtain community understanding and commitment.

You have provided a valuable framework in which to have these discussions
> and that is a major contribution. I hope that when the community discussion
> has reached consensus on the wording of a vision statement that you will be
> happy with the result and proud of your contribution to it.

The community has had TWO MONTHS to get involved so far. How much time do
you think is needed?

Perhaps I should be drafting a 2017 vision?

--
Cheers
Dave