[IAEP] Sugar/OLPC Relations

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Sat Jun 4 11:35:13 EDT 2016

Yes it is possible to use external batteries with XOs.  But at what point
will the costs of distributing those batteries along with spare/recycled
parts make the marginal cost of distributing modern, cheap, disposable
computers worth it?

I should probably note that the 2020 deadline originally came from the
end-of-support date for CentOS 6.  It is a pretty common practice in the
software world not to support your software longer than the OS, and CentOS
is/was the closest thing to 14.1.0 which officially has i386 support.

{There are special interest groups for x86 as well as ARM for CentOS 7.
But at least when I was discussing this with Peter a while back there was
some early concern as to their viability.}