[IAEP] Sugar/OLPC Relations

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Fri Jun 3 23:10:52 EDT 2016

(Intentionally top-posted)

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:00 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

>>    - A definite end-of-life date needs to put on XO-1 support.
>>
>> Sure! What do you think that date should be, Sam?
>
> What do other people think?
>
> I offer that Sugar Labs should follow OLPC Inc's lead on this, and
> continue to support the XO-1 for as long as they are.
>
> Does anyone know for how long OLPC will be supporting the XO-1?

Historically I would have answered this by stating that OLPC likely will
provide a public end-of-life schedule whenever they remove everyone from
their about page {including Negroponte} that is no longer involved in the
project.

Likewise you would get their lesson plans for Sugar when you tore them from
OLPC's cold, dead hands.

There has never been a good relationship between OLPC's corporate side and
it's academia-based side.  If there was at one point, no one has told me
stories from those days.

The corporate site of OLPC is extremely secretive compared to open-source
projects.

But within the past few months, OLPC has added people and categories to
http://one.laptop.org/about/people , which makes me curious as to what they
are up to.  They also may have subtly rebranded the XO-4 Touch as the "XO
Laptop Touch" a year or so ago.

Excluding James Cameron (since he's contracted by OLPC), has anyone been
keeping regular contact with OLPC to see what their wishes & concerns are?

Perhaps Sugar should have a Community Manager who regularly meets with
OLPC, deployments, and partners to see what they are up to, and what their
concerns are.

For all we know, OLPC may be working on their next software project, just
like One Education is.  Said project may or may not include Sugar.

Sugar really needs OLPC or another large organization to champion its
usage, and be a willing reference when other organizations ask about using
it.  Otherwise we may have a hard time growing Sugar beyond its current
boundaries.

---
SJG