[IAEP] Motion to adopt the 2016 vision for Sugar Labs

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 12:31:26 EDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 5:56 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> Please draft a vision statement you would be happy with.

I have (no shortage of) ideas, and experience in crafting text. But our
vision is more than a marketer's spin (and heaven knows I've been guilty of
spinning in the past despite my best intentions). Rather, the community
needs to get behind a common vision. This is not as easy as it sounds. For
example, many of my fine ideas involve assigning drudge IT work to other
volunteers. That doesn't work. I happen to agree with you that we should
look at Windows as a platform due to its desktop/laptop ubiquity. However
others don't feel the same way. I think web-based is a clear forward path.
However that shouldn't mean the historical platform should be stopped.
Recently I cited C. Scott Ananian's suggestion concerning the essence of
the Sugar experience. Agreement on what that is would help resolve what our
technical platforms need to offer - Sugarizer as a true platform, or demo
of the computer-based platform?

I think it would be really great if we could try to offer XO-4s somehow - a
very large order would have fabulous side effects such as silencing
longtime naysayers and encouraging component manufacturers to stay current.
It's a very big idea, but I for one could get behind it.

At the same time, Sugarizer is great for introducing Sugar's uniqueness to
prescriptors (parents/teachers) and children, and in my view offers a path
to handheld tactile devices which have swept away desktops and laptops in
schools.

Sean.