[IAEP] Personal comments on the Sugar 2016 Vision proposal

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 2 23:27:41 EDT 2016

Hi…
I think Sam is asking some really good, but difficult, questions which is exactly what SugarLabs needs. We do need, as he suggests, an overall Vision Statement (SugarLabs Goals) and more specific objectives to be met to achieve those goals (education-eze, sorry folks).
He also makes some very, very good observations on the directions we should be heading in light of the actual state of XOs and Sugar use in general. So often it seems SugarLabs is chasing history rather than looking to the future.
Why can't we start with a vision statement that outlines some broad overall goals? Then we can go on to develop some specific achievable objectives that include (as all objectives must… education-eze again) : What will be accomplished, by Whom, When, using What Tools, and How will the Success be Measured?
A good place to start would be to answer as many of Sam's questions as possible so we have a clear idea of what is possible and what we can expect to be working with in the future. Then make the Vision Statement based on the result of the overview and fill in with both short term and long term goals.
Caryl