[IAEP] [SLOBS] Motions A & B for Tomorrow

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 11:32:29 EDT 2016

Our next meeting is tomorrow, 3 June at 19UTC [1], in irc.freenode.net
#sugar-meeting.I presume we will have a quorum and vote on the backlog of
motions listed in the agenda [2].

As for voting any time, I was hoping to see some more discussion on the FM
position before asking for a vote. I had posed a number of
questions/comments in the draft document that Caryl had prepared that were
never answered, so personally I am somewhat at a loss as to how I will vote.

Specifically, I asked for evidence that there was a pressing need for
unilateral approval of small expenditures and if so, why the existing
scheme of pushing that responsibility to the teams as we currently do with
the infrastructure team isn't a better strategy than putting that control
in the hands of an individual.

I did concede the point that having one person responsible for ensuing that
financial transactions with the Conservancy are well form and complete
would likely make life for the Conservancy better and thus have no
objection to that aspect of the proposal.

As for the other outstanding motions, they all seem well conceived to me.

regards.

-walter

[1]
http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20160603T15&p0=43&msg=Sugar+Labs+oversight+board+meeting&font=cursive
[2] https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/Minutes#Agenda_items

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 11:14 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I thought you already posted these motions 12 days ago in the thread "2
> Motions Ready (or Not)" - and I also posted my 2 motions recently.
>
> I thought motions could be passed and voted on at any time?
>
> Will the motions posted a while ago be voted on? Or did they lapse?
>

> On 2 June 2016 at 07:51, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Many thanks to those of you (especially Dave Crossland) who have helped
>> refine these two motions so that they are relatively simple and easy to use
>> (See attached for final versions). It is my hope that they will help
>> SugarLabs move forward in a more efficient, smooth, and transparent
>> fashion. They are designed to accomplish the following:
>>

>>    - Allow small expenditures without the need for SLOB action
>>    - Provide compensation for the Financial Manager (FM) as deemed
>>    appropriate
>>    - Assure that requests for funding of projects are in order before
>>    they are formally presented to SLOB
>>    - Reduce the congestion at meetings with just one person, the FM,
>>    presenting requests for funds to the SLOB
>>

>> Those of you who have helped so much with drafting the final version of
>> these motions will notice that I have reset the amount for small requests
>> to $Y, providing the ability of the SLOB to set this amount initially and
>> adjust it as needed over time.
>>
>> I am currently in the Dallas area for our older granddaughter's high
>> school graduation which has all sorts of events all week. I will do all I
>> can to "attend" tomorrow's meeting. If I'm not there, you all (Texas speak)
>> will know why.
>>
>> Caryl
>>

> --
> Cheers