[IAEP] Cheap screens

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Jun 2 11:02:03 EDT 2016

On 2 June 2016 at 00:35, Sam Parkinson <sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>

> Hi
>
> Today I had to go to a shopping mall in Denver, Colorado, and I noticed
> that every item in the store had a little LCD screen attached; very low
> res, but surely very cheap to have 1,000s of them in every store.
>
> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:2016-05-30_lcd1.jpg
>
> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:2016-05-30_lcd2.jpg
>
> I wonder how cheap screens can be these days :)
>
> [Off topic]
>
> Are these screens LCD?  I was reading in the hackernews thread relating
> the a colour e-ink display recently that there are lots of e-ink screens
> that are built for this market.  I can't find the link unfortunately.
>
> I would be very interested if they are.  Front-lit LCDs are amazing, and I
> believe that the XO is one of the only devices to have one.  Is that true?

(replying on list with permission)

They seemed like regular LCD rather than eink to me, but if I stop by there
again I'll check them out :)

Interesting, I wasn't aware of color eink screens being developed yet.

I'm also not aware of any other laptop with a dual eink/regular screen.

On 2 June 2016 at 06:30, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Stores use those little screens to constantly manipulate and change
> prices. They make more $ while we pay more. I'm sure they pay for
> themselves very quickly.

hahaha yes, probably :)

--
Cheers