[IAEP] Priority languages to translate Sugar

Laura Vargas laura at somosazucar.org
Fri Jul 22 10:54:25 EDT 2016

Thanks everyone for the input!

Here is how the list is looking as of today, revision 7:

01- Sugar Learning Platform to *Shippibo* (Peruvian Amazon Tribe with a
Community in Lima by the Rimac River + 2009 SugarXO introductory
intercultural intervention with international Teachers) Probable Local
Partner: MinEdu Perú

02- Sugar Learning Platform to *Muisca* (Colombia Language in danger of
extintion + 2014 5TransfomationalGames developed with Community's Children
+ SugarXO extended introduction to Children+Parents+LocalLibrary) Probable
Local Partners: Alcaldia de Chía - Local Library - MinCultura Colombia

03-Sugar Learning Platform to *Miskito* (We have been contacted by soporte
Técnico Nicaragua, there is interest in this project) Probable Local
Partner: Fundación Zamora Teran

04- Sugar Learning Platform to *Ashaninka* (Amazon Tribe from Colombia's
forest to Peruvians + MinCultura Peru has validated + MinCultura Colombia
might be interested)

05- Finish Sugar Learning Platform to *Haitian Creole* (the platform has
been mostly translated by volunteers, but the quality of the translations
are weak)

06- Sugar Learning Platform to *Wampi* (Probable Local Partner: MinEdu Perú)

07- Internationalization of the 5 TransformationalGames Made in Colombia on
Artisan Workshop 2014 - Sugar Camp Chía. Posterior localization to
*Portugues*, *English, German* and *French *(Probable global/regional
partners Sugarizer+UN+BID+Antel)

08- Sugar Learning Platform to *Cherokee* (Research Pending)
07- Sugar Learing Platform to *Navajo* (Research Pending)
09- Sugar Learning Platform to *Lakota* (Research Pending)
10- Sugar Learning Platform to *Mapuche* (Research Pending)

We have 10 proposed projects. 4 of them require further research to qualify
as "viable".

For adding a project please visit the collaborative document at
titanpad.com/SLLL

Regards and many blessings!

Laura V

> Hi Caryl,
>
> Each activity could use it's own framework. I don't think some use
> bootstrap.
> BTW bootstrap usually take care of HTML contents, most activities use
> Canvas elements instead so I'm not sure it could help.
> Doing responsive design is always a challenge.
>
>        Lionel.

>> Hi Lionel,
>>
>> Are you using Bootstrap responsive design?  Perhaps if you design for the
>> xs screen the larger ones will take care of themselves?
>>
>> Caryl
>>
>> ------------------------------
>> From: lionel.laske at gmail.com
>> Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 08:55:22 +0200
>> To: dave at lab6.com
>> Subject: Re: [IAEP] Priority languages to translate Sugar
>> CC: iaep at lists.sugarlabs.org
>>

>> All Sugarizer activities work on mobile. I'm checking it before each new
>> release.
>> So activities are usable but it's true that activities are not fully
>> optimized for mobile.
>>
>>        Lionel.

>> Hi
>>
>> On Jul 15, 2016 7:31 AM, "José Miguel García" <josemiguel at argos.edu.uy>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hola!
>> > Estoy de acuerdo con Caryl de fortalecer Sugarizer.
>> > Es importante avanzar en función de las disponibilidades de los
>> despliegues, para poder fortalecer a Sugar
>> > A modo de ejemplo, en Uruguay se están distribuyendo tablets para los
>> niños más chicos. La única forma de comenzar desde temprana edad con Sugar
>> es a través de Sugarizer.
>>
>> Right. It seems that the biggest olpc customers are migrating away from
>> GNU systems and Sugar, despite being heavy users for years.
>> However, while its true yet smartphones have browsers, designing software
>> for mobile is different to designing for tablets.
>>
>> Its not clear to me that any Sugarizer Activity is designed for mobile.
>>
>> Lionel, is this true?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Dave

Laura V.