[IAEP] ASLO

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Thu Jul 14 12:26:29 EDT 2016

The problem is ASLO, our primary interface and support for our user
community.

If we are going the github route, we need to set up a means for updated
versions of Activities to be made into bundles and installed on the ASLO
repository. Presumably documentation (but no code) would be required to
document a procedure to submit or update activities.

In the case of ASLO, the code base is PhP. At one time, it was proposed
to implement in Python using Django - following the lead of Mozilla.
This apparently didn't happen. Jekyll is clearly a much better
framework, it's website promises that installing Jekyll is sufficient to
create a website. :)

The 'crumbling to dust' applies to the code not Python. Any software
needs support. Most of the original developers of the Sugar activities
have moved on to greener pastures. We have activities that failed
because they incorporated object code which was not recompiled for ARM.
We have activities that failed because they were build with hulahop. We
have activities that failed because they imported Abiword. I have not
seen a single example of a Sugar activity that had to be updated because
of Python 2.7.

Tony