[IAEP] ASLO

Sam Parkinson sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 08:15:11 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:01 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> On 14 July 2016 at 07:13, Sam Parkinson <sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> What do you mean?  ASLO is based on very old technology, which is
>> going to get broken.
>>
>> 10/10 would love to improve ASLO.  I actually did an "ASLO2" effort
>> a while ago, although that failed for reasons that are documented on
>> my blog.  I would be up for using a AppStream and PackageKit based
>> stack to reinvent the activity store experience though.
>
> I think if ASLO can't be resuscitated, something VERY simple - a set
> of XO files and a Jekyll-like simple HTML site that links to them -
> would best replace it.

Nice idea.  That is very simple!  But remember that you also needs
search, i18n, provide an api for Sugar to get list of bundles to
update.  The current ASLO also has other features, like a developer
interface (how do devs submit updates to the static site) and only
showing the user activities that are compatible with the version of
Sugar they are running.

>> Re Sugar using python2; a port to python3 was previously
>> investigated as part of last years GSoC.  We can port it baring our
>> telepathy-python dependency.  (FYI there has not been a commit for
>> telepathy salut or gabble in the past 2 years.  Dead upstream?
>> Still, there are so many bugs that affect sugar.  10/10 would love
>> to port collab to using something like Matrix.Org - the spec is
>> *way* is more easy to understand than telepathy.  Telepathy seems
>> much more complex than Sugar needs - we don't need abstract
>> multi-backend support.
>
> I think we should not upgrade to python3 but javascript.

Py2 -> Py3 is a small change.  Py2 -> JS is massive.  And moving to JS
means you have to replace telepathy, for Py3, we can easily port the
python-telepathy library ourselves (it is very small library)

What do you mean by javascript?  It is javascript and HTML?  Or
javascript on top of GJS, using the same amazing Gtk+ technology stack?

One idea that had been in my mind recently is moving parts of
sugar-toolkit-gtk3 to Vala or C.  In Vala/C, you can expose the objects
via Gobject Introspection - meaning that they are accessible from
Python{2,3}, Javascript, Vala, Perl, and probably more.  Don't know if
it would be worth the barrier that it adds to development though.

Thanks,
Sam