[IAEP] ASLO

Sam Parkinson sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 07:13:29 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
wrote:
> Apparently, it is another victim to 'deprecation'. Possibly the most
> important feature of Sugar today is that it is based on Python 2.7
> which is
> not being 'enhanced'.

What do you mean?  ASLO is based on very old technology, which is going
to get broken.

10/10 would love to improve ASLO.  I actually did an "ASLO2" effort a
while ago, although that failed for reasons that are documented on my
blog.  I would be up for using a AppStream and PackageKit based stack
to reinvent the activity store experience though.

Re Sugar using python2; a port to python3 was previously investigated
as part of last years GSoC.  We can port it baring our telepathy-python
dependency.  (FYI there has not been a commit for telepathy salut or
gabble in the past 2 years.  Dead upstream?  Still, there are so many
bugs that affect sugar.  10/10 would love to port collab to using
something like Matrix.Org - the spec is *way* is more easy to
understand than telepathy.  Telepathy seems much more complex than
Sugar needs - we don't need abstract multi-backend support.

Thanks,
Sam