[IAEP] North American native languages (was Re: #Documentation SL Funding Committe)

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Sat Jul 9 11:59:21 EDT 2016

El 09/07/16 a las 10:10, Caryl Bigenho escribió:

> We may be able to get an easy entry point by executing the translation
> of Sugar to Cherokee and/or Navajo. [3]
>
> [3]
> http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140606-why-we-must-save-dying-languages

While Laura proposed to prioritize these in the context of promoting
Sugar on the broader US community, I offer that the experience of
localizing Sugar for these groups is a goal in itself, as a learning
experience for further work. As the article explains, there is /wisdom/
/embedded /in the words of the languages //of peoples who have lived in
these territories for thousands of years. This is part of humanity's
legacy and should not be lost.

I do believe the mere possibility fluency in technology and properly
appropriable informatics has the power to empower native cultures to
better cope with modernity and even assume leadership in it.

Perhaps we can learn from them how to exist under a dominant culture
(proprietary software).
The dominant culture has everyone engulfed in a /dreamspell/ that makes
it hard to see what is important.

That said, for sure, Sugarizer should be part of what gets translated
when we discuss translating Sugar.

Does anyone in these lists have contact with native north-american
people? Have we heard from the Mexican language efforts? I would ping
some contacts for US based natives if there could be support for
achieving this.

Regards,
Sebastian

PS: do read, if you can, the linked article it is quite enlightening