[IAEP] #Documentation SL Funding Committe

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Jul 7 08:35:00 EDT 2016

> Sostenemos, sin embargo, que si los dispositivos hubieran contado con
> Windows, el SO más conocido, su uso habría sido para seguir haciendo más de
> lo mismo.

I think that is great :)

However, it seems possible only with either a top-down state mandate to use
Sugar as a desktop, or a bottoms-up local exceptional IT support person who
can support a GNU/Linux deployment. I think it is unlikely for autonomous
schools or districts who have Windows computers to reinstall them with a
Sugar distro.

I also think that even in places with top-down state mandates for
state-owned computers, having Sugar run natively on Windows would help
drive adoption of constructionist education: Last week I spoke to the NDSU
"local lab" (https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/North_Dakota_State_University)
and they said that no one would install a distro on home computers (running
Windows) because either they couldn't figure out how to boot from a USB
key, despite the documentation provided, or, the family wouldn't permit the
documentation to be followed because of the risk of data loss and idling
the machine while waiting for tech support.