[IAEP] #Documentation SL Funding Committe

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Jul 6 18:03:19 EDT 2016

Hi

Thanks Caryl, this is all very informative and I'm glad you are here to
explain this context :)

On 6 July 2016 at 17:18, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Teacher training and "buy-in" is essential for Sugar/Sugarizer to succeed
> no matter what platform, language, or country you/we are working in. This
> is where SugarLabs has been remiss.

I am grateful that (and think we are all lucky to have) Adam and Tony
participating here and on the SL board, but it seems to me that we do not
have many other direct links to existing Sugar user communities. It seems
to me that there is the Sugar Labs community, which steers the development
of Sugar software, and then there is the IIAB/XSCE/Unleash Kids/OLPC-X
"deployment" community, and that in the last 10 years some kind of
antagonisms have developed which keep the two communities divided. (What I
mean by OLPC-X is that there is no longer a community around OLPC itself,
but there are still a few user associations like OLPC-France, OLPC-Canada,
OLPC-Australia.)

I wonder that perhaps developing teacher training media or other resources
needed for "buy-in" will be definitively considered in or out of scope for
Sugar Labs during Sameer's Vision Quest... that Sugar Labs could be
delineated as being focused on developing Sugar software, and doing
outreach to software developers who are parents or school district
employees or otherwise interested in making software for kids, including
providing hardware with Sugar pre-installed at less than 10 units per
order, and relies on other projects to deliver that software to
classrooms... or, that Sugar Labs is focused on providing non-profit
commercial support for Sugar, and develops user support media as well as
consulting services for school districts, including providing hardware with
Sugar pre-installed at 100+ units per order.

--
Cheers
Dave