[IAEP] A Better Idea...

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sat Jul 2 17:39:55 EDT 2016

On 27 June 2016 at 08:44, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> On 7 June 2016 at 20:15, Laura Vargas <laura at somosazucar.org> wrote:
> > Looks like we are getting the hang of it! We as a Committe should
> schedule a
> > weekly meeting to live chat with important updates/news and pending
> > decisions.
>
> When is the next meeting? :)

Would meeting on this Friday July 8th at 3pm California, 5pm Peru, 6pm NYC
work for you both?

Here is the current contents of the pad:

#LearningBYDoing #Projects4GOOD
Last Modified by June 17 2016 by DC

*Sugar Labs Fundraising Committe Notes*

Welcome to TitanPad! This document is live at http://
<http://titanpad.com/SLFC>titanpad.com <http://titanpad.com/SLFC>/SLFC
<http://titanpad.com/SLFC>
Please take yourself time to read
http://titanpad.com/ep/pro-help/#deletionpolicy)
This page text is synchronized as we type, so that everyone viewing this
page sees the same text. This allows us to collaborate seamlessly on
documents!

*TODO**s** (please vote + name)*

1. To create a grant list [done! below]

2. To define mechanisms for funds distribution and certification among
members: Project Lead gets a budget approved by SLOBs and after that, no
further motions are needed for making individual disbursements. [done]

3. Draft 3 funding proposal applications [1/3 complete]

*G**oals*

A. *Sugar Projects Translation's Fund - PL Laura Vargas*
- Application document link [pending]
- Deadline [pending]

B. *Sugar Network Development Fund - PL Laura Vargas*
- Application document link [pending]
- Deadline [pending]

C. Sugar Labs Google AdWords Grant - PL Dave Crossland. -
https://www.google.com/grants
- Application document link [request sent to Conservancy]
- Deadline 2016-07-30

Notes:

The above project-funds are for Sugar related projects already underway by
 SL members.

Current spending commitments are directed by the Oversight Board.

We will liaise with Adam and the Conservancy concerning any submittal
requiring an EIN, although referral to Conservancy entry in GuideStar may
be sufficient  http://www.guidestar.org/profile/41-2203632

*Future Goals*

* Sugar Open Educational Resources Projects Fund

* Sugarizer Fund

* IIAB (Internet In A Box) fund

* Sugar Social Media Manager Role

* Sugar Finance Manager Role

*Grant** List*

- https://www.google.com/grants (Dave Crossland is moving this forwards as
of 2016-06-27)

- MacArthur Foundation: "improving children comunications among all
continents"

- Enter the legal name of the organization that you represent:
- Provide the address of your organization:
- Offer a direct phone number for your organization:
- Describe or select the primary area of expertise for your *organization*
- Describe or select the primary thematic area of the *problem* that you
propose to solve

-Michael and Susan Dell Foundation. Requires a US Taxpayer ID; the
Conservancy EIN is 41-2203632: http://www.msdf.org/grants/apply/eligibility/

- NSF (Updated link) annual cycles in process:
http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=
<http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=505038>505038
<http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=505038>

-Current USAID funding opportunities:
https://www.usaid.gov/work-usaid/partnership-opportunities

- Lowes small grants for individual schools in the US:
http://www.toolboxforeducation.com/faq.html

- Global Partnership for Education (GPE) for applications from countries:
http://www.globalpartnership.org/useful-resources-for-gpe-grants

- http://www.mastercardfdn.org
- http://www.iyfnet.org/youth-organizations
- https://www.macfound.org/programs/girlseducation/
- http://allchildrenreading.org
-
http://corporate.voya.com/corporate-responsibility/community-investment/giving/grants
- http://mccartheydressman.org/academic-enrichment-grants/
http://www.raytheon.com/responsibility/community/contributions_grants/index.html
- https://corporate.bestbuy.com/community-grants-page/
-
http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/grants-awards/beyond-net-funding-programme/how-apply-beyond-net-funding
- http://livingprogresschallenge.hpe.com/
- http://corporate.mattel.com/about-us/philanthropy/childrenfoundation.aspx
- https://public.conxport.com/delta/donation/Home.aspx
- UNESCO (2017 cycle) http://en.unesco.org/ifpc/
-
http://www.motorola.com/us/Motorola-Mobility-Foundation-Partnerships/motorola-foundation-partnerships.html#mmf-partnerships-education
https://csta.acm.org/About/sub/GrantSupportRequests.html
- Long list of grants, updated often
http://www.edutopia.org/grants-and-resources
-
http://us.gsk.com/en-us/our-stories/our-communities/gsk-impact-grants-our-kids-leading-the-way-to-a-healthier-community/
http://www.waltonfamilyfoundation.org/our-impact/k12-education
- Knight News Challenge. Entry deadline has passed:
http://www.newschallenge.org
- a non-profit management organization "Y-Combinator:
https://80000hours.org/2015/08/why-is-80000-hours-in-y-combinator-as-a-non-profit-and-whats-it-like/
(Dave
-1, I don't think SL is ready for this.)

The following organizations and government entities may offer grants:

- Intel (Laura: They have facilitated equipment "classmates" to the
somosAzucar Research and Development team, as we use them for testing
Debian-Sugar Distribution as requested by MinEdu PerĂº)
- Oracle (Sean: In the past I floated a partnership idea, where they help
us host a matrix of VirtualBox prebuilt Sugar VMs)
- Google RISE
- FedEx
- Red Hat
- Mozilla
- Linux Foundation
- FSF
- Ford Foundation
- Dreamhost
- IBM
- Yahoo
- AMD
- Facebook
- Amazon
- Twitter
- Yahoo
- Netflix
- Pinterest
- Singularity University
- Hackidemia organization
- Afrimakers
- MakerCamp
- MakerFaire
- Samsung Research
- Microsoft (laura -1: No private software funds shall get into our
accounts!) (dave +1: money is money, and almost all the funding sources are
private companies; the Nadella Microsoft is very different to the
Gates/Ballmer era and is about as ethical as Google, Facebook, Intel, or
IBM :) (Laura: don't apply, the requirement from grants providers to
resonate SL values is not negotiable as it stands for the whole learning
model we are proposing.) (Sean -1: No point adding Microsoft or Bill &
Melinda Gates Foundation to this list.) (Dave: You assert your own values
as "SL values", but the observable behaviour of SL and OLPC is not
consistent with them. What do you see as the difference between Google and
Microsoft? Why does SL take Google's money?)
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

To find more grant opportunities we might

- sign up for a www.grantwatch.com account
- list out any current grants from this old list compiled by Ed Cherlin,
http://www.mail-archive.com/iaep%40lists.sugarlabs.org/msg10761.html

How you can you contact us beyond this page? Email
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/