[IAEP] Sugar Translations Project's Fund

Laura Vargas laura at somosazucar.org
Mon Feb 29 15:15:22 EST 2016

Thank you all for contributing to the sugar-transations issue and for the
formation of the correspondent committe.

So far, my role in translation projects has involved the coordination with
the local communities in the execution of the following activities:

01- Identify the need, objectives and scope of the translation and any
initial collaborators/resources/progress

02- Design the specific strategy for the translation execution (actions to
be executed in the given time line)

03- Find and secure resources required to execute the translation, this
includes:

       * Scouting and securing translators/technical partners

       * Securing basic resources for the translators during the
translation period (computer, internet connection, stipend)

       * Training translators/linguists in the use of Sugar and Pootle

       * Requesting the SL translations team for the creation of the locale
file (in case of a new language)

       * Securing and coordinating technical support from SL
infraestructure team

In America, we know there are Sugar users in Colombia, Nicaragua, Uruguay,
México, Paraguay, Argentina, Guatemala and Costa Rica. Still, we don't know
how many indigenous tribes have access to Sugar. I suspect the former OLPC
sales team may be able to help with that information.

Just in Perú there are 47 indigenous languages in use. Unfortunatly, after
5 years of having started the Sugar translations efforts we have only been
able to help with the translation of 3 of them (Quechua, Aymara and Awajun)
in part because our family is been growing (our two babies were born) and
in part because contracting with MinEdu requires a lot of time and patience
as it is a very long and uncertain process.

I believe that exploring Sugar in the local language makes a big difference
for the learner acceptance of his own culture, and althought it is true
that the use of sugar has decreased due to the obsolescence of the
equipment, it is also true that having the learning environment (and
any relevant Open Educational Resources) in their own language has the
potential to reactivate the use of Sugar in the many diverse public
Bilingual Schools across the Continent.

Regarding a proposal on how to manage the translations pending tasks and
projects, I believe the creation of a *Sugar Translations Project's Fund *is
a good idea, where the funds become available to interested local
communities and the board approves and follows specific tasks or projects.

For this to work, within SL it would make sense to have continous support
from both the translation team and the infraestructure team.

Blessings and good week for all.

--
Laura V.
I&D SomosAZUCAR.Org