[IAEP] [SLOBS] Preparing for the 2017 SLOB Election

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Aug 17 21:22:12 EDT 2016

On 17 August 2016 at 21:11, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 8:59 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>

>> On 17 August 2016 at 20:54, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I don't recall. Could be me :)
>>>

>> I suggest adding this to the next SLOB meeting agenda as a discussion
>> point (and possible immediate motion :)
>>

> +1
>

>> This is a side issue though; the primary concerns of Caryl and myself
>> that we would appreciate SLOB guidance on are
>>
>> - what criteria should be used to define who is and is not eligible to be
>> counted as a Sugar Labs member?
>>

> I agree with the "big tent" premise. We have a diverse project with many
> parts. Contributions of all types are welcome and qualifying IMHO. Since we
> also try to blur the line between users and contributors, I am also of the
> opinion that a user who would like to be a member should be welcome.

Since it is libre software, anyone can be a user; thus you are proposing
that anyone who self-asserts to become a voting member by emailing
members at sugarlabs.org should be added to the membership list (which I
propose is itself a mailman mailing list.)

I'm fine with that, but is seems to be a change in policy.

> - what criteria should be used to define what is and is not a Sugar Labs
>> owned project?
>>

> From 10000 feet, I'd say if it is FOSS and focused on learning, it can
> qualify. But there also has to be an intention to have the project somehow
> connected to the Sugar community.

Concretely, would each of these projects qualify?

- Childsplay
- Scratch
- Squeak
- Tux Math