[IAEP] Preparing for the 2017 SLOB Election

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Sun Aug 7 10:44:22 EDT 2016

El 07/08/16 a las 09:23, Caryl Bigenho escribió:

> This discussion really belongs to the SLOBS members and the leaders of
> the various projects. It is not for you and I, or any other individual
> members to decide.

Hi Caryl, Sugar Labs,

I welcomed Dave's proposal because he is merely proposing a new way to
keep track of members (a moderated mailman list instead of a "Google
spreadsheet").

It is the Membership and Election Committee's (main) duty to keep this
list up to date, and currently we do it manually on third party
infrastructure using non-free software.

Mailing lists are stable, easy to manage and maintain, and would make it
easier to manage in the future (it's automatic). The members mailman
list won't exist for general discussion but for official communication
from Sugar Labs to members and as the official registry of members.

Of course the committee has to agree on this. In order to be appointed
to Membership and Election committee a SLOBS vote was necessary, I would
be happy if Dave went through the process, especially if he has more
initiatives to improve our process.

Regarding who is, or not, entitled to become a member, I have never seen
anyone rejected from Sugar Labs; I find it hard to imagine, and I like
it that way.

Instead of raising the barrier to entry, I would prefer to enforce our
currency policy ("are you still interested in being a member?" - every
year) so that hopefully only active members get to vote.

Regards,
Sebastian