[IAEP] Preparing for the 2017 SLOB Election

Caryl Bigenho caryl at laptop.org
Sat Aug 6 16:01:52 EDT 2016

Hi…
I disagree about XSCE. Those contributors should definitely be eligible for Sugar Labs membership. Their work has been in direct support of many Sugar Deployments. IIAB developers should also be included, if they wish, as we use their work in deployments that either do not have internet or cannot use it for some reason. For example, at one of the deployments in a battered women't shelter in  Los Angeles they use it because the children aren't allowed to use the internet. Other places use both of these these (XSCE and IIAB) in their Sugar Deployments.
Also, the many folks involved with Sugarizer should be included. Obviously, it is the only way Sugar can be used on tablets and phones and is critical in areas where XOs and computers that can run SOAS are not available. For many, it represents the future of Sugar.
Now… additionally… I personally do not feel that mearly owning an XO or using Sugar should qualify a person for membership. If they have contributed to testing various versions of Sugar or have developed lesson plans and guides or similar resources for using Sugar with children they should definitely be eligible. In fact, maybe it is time to encourage people to  share their lesson plans. There is a real need for them.
Similarly, merely adding a few lines to the wiki or writing a few responses on a mailing list should not be enough. Real contributions should show a true commitment to the project and represent many hours of work. Not just a few minutes of casual comments and a few lines of information on the wiki.
Sorry, Dave, but I think some other long-time members may tend to agree with me. Remember… bigger isn't better and quantity doesn't equal quality!
Caryl