[IAEP] use of XOs

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Mon Apr 25 20:28:25 EDT 2016

I think this started with an observation from Adam. We have used
deployment in the community to refer to the institution where the
laptops are located and the overall environment; hence, the Deployment
Guide. In our current context, Uruguay is not a deployment but each
school in Uruguay with laptops is a deployment. Some may be doing well,
some not so well.

Intervention sounds like taking some action in an ongoing situation.
This is rare (Uruguay, Peru, Rwanda may justify intervention since the
deployments were and are being put in place by the national government
(Ministry of Education). In many others, a deployment is made by a
sponsor ($) and a dedicated individual or team who visit the school or
institution, deliver the hardware, set the system up, and provide
initial training. Intervention does not sound like the right word for
these cases.

What we need to understand by deployment or 'intervention' is a school
or institution which has multiple laptops (normally XOs) and, possibly a
school server and lan, and, probably little or no access to the internet.

 From a Sugar community perspective, we are talking about a 'customer'
or 'client'.

Maybe 'olpc site' would be good - where olpc is the community name not
the commercial OLPC.

Tony