[IAEP] IAEP Digest, Vol 97, Issue 75

Laura Vargas laura at somosazucar.org
Mon Apr 25 07:47:54 EDT 2016

As Sugar is the libre software we are building/supporting for children of
all continents to learn with, it's vision should include the promotion of a
lot of exchange of cutural, cientific and functional best
practices/cases/projects among all children.

Hopefully this vision can continue progressing as you get the list moving
forward.

Please note that is not the same to talk about a Sugar Labs Local Lab than
a Sugar+XO Deployment. Historically, the braves who started a Lab did it as
a result of a Sugar+XO Intervention.

Usually, the deployments/interventions have "managers" (private or public)
that manage the day to day operations. That is different from the Local Lab
volunteers/professionals who are/could be offering
support/research/development/localization/etc.

Just to give you an idea, the table list to Rafael Ortiz en Colombia as a
reference for contact, but he was not involved with any intervention
directly. He was one of the group that gather to create the Colombian Local
Lab (Fundación Sugar Labs).

Latter on, when I joined ~2011, I asked Sandra Barragán (OLPC sales manager
at that point) for Colombian deployments information and she provided the
following link that list +20 different deployments/interventions:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/viewer?hl=es&oe=UTF8&vps=2&msa=0&ie=UTF8&jsv=308a&authuser=1&mid=zvPH5wm70EJU.kvdZHcipBm3E

Most likely Claudia Urrea, SLOB and former Director of Learning at OLPC
Association [1], already has a table with all the "managers and educators"
contacts from the deployments/interventions that can be shared at this
point with the community.

Best regards and blessing,
Laura V

[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Claudia_Urrea

> Hi, Dave
>
> Everything possible.
>
> For a simple example. If Uruguay is allowing learners to take laptops
> home; how is charging handled? In Rwanda, we discovered that
> few homes had electricity. This would mean laptops taken home would be
> returned with empty batteries. The school is set up to charge the
> laptops in charging racks. Charging them in class time would mean running
> power strips all over the floor of the classroom potentially endangering
> students and the laptops (dragged to the floor). In Nepal, wear and tear on
> the XOs proved too expensive so laptops now stay in the school. After
> school opportunities are a good alternative, except in many schools
> students walk several miles to and from school. This means they can not
> stay back for after school activities. In schools with two shifts there
> would lots of time for 'before' or 'after' school activities. However, the
> schools do not have classroom space beyond for the active classes.
>
> Every deployment I have encountered is different, information about them
> would be invaluable and would give us an opportunity to provide more
> effective support. I think the first priority is to find the deployments
> and identify a contact who could provide us with good current information.
>
> Tony
>

> On 04/24/2016 12:21 PM, Dave Crossland wrote:
>

> On 23 April 2016 at 23:45, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:
>
>> I really wish we had more information on where and how XOs are used in
>> the field
>

> What information do you think we should find out?

Laura V.
I&D SomosAZUCAR.Org

Identi.ca/Skype acaire
IRC kaametza