[IAEP] use of XOs

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Apr 24 22:02:37 EDT 2016

Hi

On 24 April 2016 at 21:44, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:

> The strategic need is to establish direct communication with folks at
> these deployments to get first-hand information. This direct communication
> can put the community in direct contact with the user community and help us
> provide more relevant capabilities.
>
> I think this is going to be a deployment-by-deployment process.

I agree

> [deployment ideas]

I added them to the Local Labs Contact page

> The webpage is a good start (
> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Local_Labs/Contacts). However, it is
> connected to the local labs program. You may want to find out from Walter
> about its current status. The idea died aborning because under our
> agreement with the Conservancy, Sugar Labs was not permitted to establish
> subsidiary groups. So I think the wiki effort should be independent of that
> initiative.

The Conservancy position sort of makes sense, but I understood that a
"Local Lab" is just what Sugar Labs calls a user community, the same thing
that OLPC called a "deployment" (which I think is a poor marketing term,
since it has US-imperial/military overtones.)

> We also need a format where we can gather significant information -
> perhaps a link from this page to a page per deployment.

Right; the https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Local_Labs page has a directory
like that.

> The key in each case is to have a local contact (e.g. email address) where
> we can get direct answers to questions as they come up and propose
> capabilities which may be of help.

Right; that's what I want to tabulate on the Contact page.

> The questions we need answered go far beyond whether XOs are used inside a
> classroom or elsewhere. For example, if users are allowed to take laptops
> away from the institution, what has been the impact on wear and tare. If
> users 'own' the laptop; how does the institution replace them for incoming
> students.
> How has the Uruguay Plan Ceibal impacted learning in later grades - e.g.
> in readiness to use computers effectively in secondary school learning. The
> list could go on.

All good ideas, I put them into
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marketing_Team/Local_Labs_Survey_2016 :)

--