[IAEP] Is "Most Sugar Users Use XO Laptops" True?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Apr 24 09:32:49 EDT 2016

Hi José!

I hope you could join this discussion thread :) I'm curious about your
perspective from Uruguay on the following questions :)

Are most Sugar users are using XO laptops?

Is most Sugar use is in a school/classroom setting, or by the child in
their free time at home?

Also, I read in https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Jmgarcia that you wrote

> For Sugar you should not be limited to a computer model

I'm curious if you know of any user communities that are using Sugar on
non-XO computers, and if so, what models they were/are using? :)

Cheers
Dave

On 24 April 2016 at 04:18, <forster at ozonline.com.au> wrote:

> Does anyone disagree with the assertion that "most Sugar use is in a
>> school/classroom setting"?
>>

> Hi
>
> The two largest OLPC deployments, Peru and Uruguay account for 50% of XO
> laptops.
>
> Peru, 60% of use was in school [1]
> Uruguay home use > school use [2]
>
> Uruguay was 100% take home, Peru had a mixed take home policy.
>
> It is not clear what happened in the remaining 50% of deployments.
>
> These statistics are 4-6 years old. It is not clear how the usage changes
> as XO's have got older. They are presumably perceived to be less valuable.
> This could relax take home policies, it probably tends to lower school and
> home use.
>
> So I disagree with the assertion that "most Sugar use is in a
> school/classroom setting". I think its too close to call. Home and school
> use are roughly equal.
>
> Tony
>

> [1]Frequency: sessions in last week By place % at school
> Table 9 Technology and Child Development: Evidence from the One Laptop
> per Child Program , IADB Feb 2012
>
> [2]"Children reportedly use the XO's about an 1 to 1.5 hours per day at
> home...The XO's are not used as much in schools"
> http://www.olpcnews.com/countries/uruguay/plan_ceibal_a_better_designed.htm
> May 2010

Cheers
Dave