[IAEP] Is "Most Sugar Users Use XO Laptops" True?

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Sun Apr 24 04:18:02 EDT 2016

> Does anyone disagree with the assertion that "most Sugar use is in a
> school/classroom setting"?

Hi

The two largest OLPC deployments, Peru and Uruguay account for 50% of
XO laptops.

Peru, 60% of use was in school [1]
Uruguay home use > school use [2]

Uruguay was 100% take home, Peru had a mixed take home policy.

It is not clear what happened in the remaining 50% of deployments.

These statistics are 4-6 years old. It is not clear how the usage
changes as XO's have got older. They are presumably perceived to be
less valuable. This could relax take home policies, it probably tends
to lower school and home use.

So I disagree with the assertion that "most Sugar use is in a
school/classroom setting". I think its too close to call. Home and
school use are roughly equal.

Tony

[1]Frequency: sessions in last week By place % at school
Table 9 Technology and Child Development: Evidence from the One Laptop
per Child Program , IADB Feb 2012

[2]"Children reportedly use the XO's about an 1 to 1.5 hours per day
at home...The XO's are not used as much in schools"
http://www.olpcnews.com/countries/uruguay/plan_ceibal_a_better_designed.htm
May 2010