[IAEP] Wiki Gardening Weekend (May 14-15, Boston, USA)

Iain Brown Douglas iain at browndouglas.plus.com
Thu Apr 21 10:00:36 EDT 2016

On Thu, 2016-04-21 at 04:09 +0100, Iain Brown Douglas wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-04-20 at 10:34 +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 04:20:49PM +0100, Iain Brown Douglas wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > It seems this conversation has gone a long way from wiki gardening :)
> > >
> > > My feeling is that the wiki does not serve _New_to_Sugar_ users
> > > well.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > > Moreover as there is a lack of reliable first steps information, new
> > > content cannot be written referring back to such.
> > >
> > > In general, I believe we need more content with screen shots aimed at
> > > _New_to_Sugar_ users, but they would be better delivered via slide show
> > > than scrolling pages.
> > >
> > > New to Jekyll, I did not work out how to do a slide show in Jekyll and
> > > Markdown. Can anyone point to a site that does this successfully?
> > >
> > > So I just ploughed on and generated content using Remark[1].
> > >
> > > An alternative Sphinx-based, slide show effort is used in SoaS
> > > Loader[2], but the product became over-weight in detail. [...]
> >
> > Programmers among us have let you down there; you've had to devote
> > many slides to a very complex install process.
> >
> > 	http://soas-loader.readthedocs.org
> >
> > Now, install for Fedora 23 SoaS is just type "sudo liveinst" in
> > Terminal activity.
> >
> I believe 8 GB sticks made by this method are more stable than
> compressed ones.
>
> > Future, Sugar could have a My Settings control panel which starts
> > "sudo liveinst" on demand.
>
> What would be the protection against wiping the host hard drive? :)

Forgive noise to this list.

As I have taken this thread to address significant omissions from Sugar
_easy_install_ documentation, I think this is still on-topic, if a
repeat from @sugar-devel in the past.

I would not like a child to have a CD on my PC with "sudo liveinst" too
readily available :)

However I think the idea is still good, if "liveinst" is in a script
which asks for a removable drive to be added, asks to confirm deletion
of all data on that drive, then proceeds, omitting partitioning, to
install only to the removable drive. Experts can of course proceed from
Terminal Activity.

Cheers,

Iain